World-class technology for software you can count on!
Why we use Java
Java is impressively robust and easy-to-use with unmatched cross-platform capabilities and security features. Java is the language of choice for worldwide Internet solutions, and Practice Director uses Java-based technology to provide many unique benefits to our clients. Here are some benefits you will receive with Java-based technology:
1. Cross-platform flexibility
A major advantage of Java is the flexibility of being able to use it easily on any computer operating system including Windows, Macintosh, Linux, or a mixed environment.
2. Optimal security
Java has developed its programming with security at the base of its design. Since Java runs in an environment separate from the operating system, viruses attacking Practice Director and your data are extremely low.
3. Better reliability
Java emphasizes early checking for possible errors and allows our developers to detect many problems that would show up later if Practice Director were written in another language.
4. Faster computing
Because Java is multi-threaded, it can perform several tasks at the same time. The smooth integration of multi-threaded programming in Java helps Practice Director run smoothly and efficiently, regardless of what system is running the program.
Why we use PostgreSQL
Practice Director also uses a PostgreSQL database, which provides many additional advantages.
1. Unmatched reliability and stability
While many proprietary databases crash every so often, PostgreSQL commonly provides years of high activity operation without a single crash.
2. Designed for high volume environments
With its multiple row data storage strategy called MVCC, PostgreSQL allows Practice Director to be extremely responsive in high volume environments.
More than 15 workstations: Core i5, Core i7 or Intel Xeon
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Mac OS X 10.7 or higher
- Ubuntu Linux 16.04 or higher
Hard Disk Redundancy: RAID to reduce the effects of disk failure
We strongly recommend using a dedicated server for the following reasons:
- More Power: Using your server as a workstation leads to reduced efficiency for every other workstation that is connected to the server.
- More Security: Regularly accessing email and Internet from your server can compromise the security of your entire network rather than just one workstation.
- More Maintainable: Diagnosing issues is simpler and less costly when you have a dedicated server that is not being used to perform other duties.
Other Systems and Devices
A High Speed, always-on internet connection (Cable/DSL) is required for optimum support. 25Mbps download, 3 Mbps upload
Gigabit Ethernet 1Gbps Ethernet
Consult with your certified IT professional to determine which firewall is best for you.
Consult with your certified IT professional to determine which anti-virus is best for you.
Compatibility with OpenJDK
Practice Director does not currently work with OpenJDK. If you are using Ubuntu Linux Oracle’s JDK will need to be installed instead of OpenJDK in order to run Practice Director.
Monthly CD ROM “SPEX UPC” @ www.framesdata.com or call 866-265-3267
Frame Label Types
Barbell DYMO 30299
Address, Chart, and Appointment Label Types
Avery 5160, DYMO LW Address Labels 1 1/8” x 3 1/2”, DYMO 30323, DYMO 30374
Any scanner that will scan directly to .PDF format, such as FUJITSU Image Scanner ScanSnap iX500
USB bar code readers such as Symbol LS2208
Any digital image can be labeled, annotated and linked into a patient’s electronic medical record if the image can be saved as a JPEG, PNG, GIF, or TIF format.
Cloud Option/Remote Access
Access your EHR software anywhere
To provide greater flexibility and more options for our clients, Practice Director offers a cloud-based option. Our cloud-based system allows clients to log on to their Practice Director software via any internet connection.
1. Access it anywhere. As long as you have an internet connection, you’ll be able to log in and access your software. You’ll be able to work from home, work or on the road.
2. Centralized data storage. All your data is centrally stored and is accessible over the web from any computer at any time. You won’t leave any data on the local computer because all your data is stored in the cloud. With your secure login and password information, you can access your data from anywhere.
3. Automatic data backup. Because we automatically back up your data, you no longer have to worry about when you last backed up your system.
4. Automatic updates. With our cloud-based software, we take care of the updates automatically, which means you will always be using the most recent version of our software.
5. Your data is separate. It is not mixed with other cloud user’s data. We can pull your information and give it to you in minutes.
Other Remote Access Options
Even if you have a locally installed, non-cloud server, you can access it remotely (e.g., from home) using a low- or no-cost option such as Team Viewer, LogMeIn, or by setting up a VPN. Once they are initially set up, these solutions are very simple to use and have zero to minimal costs on your part. Your local IT person should be able to help you get set these up with a minimum amount of effort.
Our support team will assist you with installing Practice Director in your office.
To make it as easy as possible for you, our support team will assist you with the entire software installation process. Depending on your needs, there are a couple of options available.
To have Practice Director installed on your practice’s server, we will schedule a time for our support team to connect remotely to your server and install the software. Installation time varies depending on your internet access and platform, but it usually takes one to two hours to install the software on a server.
Single and Multi-Office Installation
Practice Director supports an unlimited number of computers. Our enterprise-level software system supports both single-office practices and practices with any number of offices and any number of providers.
Do your work from any office!
- View and schedule appointments from any office.
- Create and view patient charts from any office.
- Run revenue, accounts receivable and production reports from any office (by provider or by all offices combined).
- Run deposits and inventory reports by one or all offices combined.
- And much more…
Practice Director offers support for a number of multiple office deployment choices. Common deployment scenarios are listed below.
Windows Terminal Sever
Practice Director supports using Terminal Services with the following operating systems: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Windows Terminal Server is a proven deployment architecture for supporting enterprise-level software across WAN connections.
Linux Terminal Server
Practice Director offers a plug-and-play installation of Linux Terminal Server, along with NoMachine NX, on a Practice Director-supplied server to support an unlimited number of office connections. Linux is a viable and low-cost alternative to Windows Server. Please contact us for details on Linux Terminal Servers.
Mac OS X Terminal Server
Practice Director works well with either an Aqua Connect Terminal Server or iRAPP Terminal Server. iRAPP and Aqua Connect support the same RDP protocol that a Windows Terminal Server uses to allow both PCs and Macs to connect to a Mac Terminal Server remotely.
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
A VPN provides a secure, economical solution for transferring information among multi-site practices. A VPN router, such as a Cisco ASA, can be installed at each location. A single VPN router can be installed at the Server location using a VPN Client to connect to the VPN router. VPNs encrypt the data communication among sites ensuring the security and HIPAA compliance of the data transferred. In general, VPN is not recommended for busy offices where more immediate response times are critical.